Sunday, July 24, 2011

Getting Up to Speed

A little over two weeks have passed since we found out we're having a baby and so much has happened since then.

After sharing the news with our family, an overwhelming feeling set in for me.  I started to freak out because I didn't know what to do next - luckily I have great friends and family who immediately stepped in with support, books, DVDs, and more.

After a few days of reading every possible website/magazine/book, I was starting to feel a little more prepared.  By that point, I had made our first appointment with an OB-GYN in Liberia for July 14th.  Luckily, the only pregnancy symptom I had at the time was fatigue - I was tired ALL the time...and then the severe heartburn and nausea set in - bluh.  

July 14, 2011 - the day of our first appointment.  It was an extremely interesting experience going to a doctor who only speaks Spanish (luckily I speak enough and Rudy is obviously fluent).  Everything seemed to be good, except for one MAJOR progesterone levels were too low.  A few blood tests later and the doctor called letting me know to immediately start progesterone pills.  Since I was only at 5 weeks pregnant, the embryo was not visible and the heart beat was not audible - the doctor wanted to see us again in two weeks.

Two weeks in a nutshell - well actually one week and here's why:

Over the past week, I have experienced all kinds of sickness - morning, afternoon, and night...luckily no vomiting.  The worst so far has been the heartburn/acid indigestion - it happens ALL day, which makes me not want to eat..ANYTHING.  Since the past couple of weeks I've lost 6 pounds - aren't you supposed to gain weight?  Apparently, a lot of women experience weight loss in the first trimester.

July 21, 2011 at 8 PM - the day we thought it was all over.  Since our visit to the doctor, I haven't been able to leave the house because of how bad I have felt - well, this day I decided I was craving food from our friend's restaurant.  We decided to go out for dinner, which turned out to be a bad idea.  Half way through my  dinner (I say "my" dinner because Rudy eats so fast) I started feeling horrible and we had to leave.  I immediately curled up on the couch having terrible cramping in my lower back and stomach. 

I finally had to use the restroom, which is were I came to the scary and overwhelming realization that we may be losing our first child.  I will not go into too much information, but just that I was 95% sure I was having a miscarriage.  Rudy immediately called the doctor - the doc gave us instructions on what to do and said to come immediately to see him the following morning.

After many unhappy and scared tears, I was able to fall asleep.  I thought I had come to terms with the fact that maybe God just wasn't ready for us to have kids...

July 22, 2011 - the unbelievably amazing news.  We went to the doctor fearing the worst - or better yet, prepared for the worst.  I got up on the examining table preparing not to see anything on the computer screen from the ultrasound/sonogram. 

As I looked at the computer screen, tears started rolling down my face and I started sobbing...there on the computer screen, where I was so prepared not to see anything, was our baby.  Wait a second doctor...THAT'S OUR BABY?! There our little surfer baby was, the size of a blueberry...with a very strong and healthy heart beat of 126 beats per minute.  

I can't even begin to explain all the emotions that overwhelmed both me and Rudy.  I believe the main feeling was extreme relief - relief that what we had expected was totally wrong...Thank God.

Hearing our baby's heart beat reassured us that so far so good.  The doctor has now upped my prescription of the progesterone medicine and he has also put me on bed-rest (more like I just can't do much) for the next 6 weeks or until our next appointment in a month.

Since finding out our baby is OK and healthy I have done exactly what the doctor has ordered - nothing...but it is totally worth it!  I just hope and pray that our baby continues to grow and stay healthy for the next 9 months.

One final thought before I shut off my computer.  Today is my Daddy's birthday - Happy Birthday to the Most Amazing Daddy on the Planet!!!  I can't wait to celebrate with you in a month - God Willing and the Creek Don't Rise! I love you so much and pray you are doing well in that crazy sandbox over there.

No comments:

Post a Comment